Sunday, August 5, 2007

A DAY IN THE SUN

The sun was shining so brightly and not a cloud was in sight so I couldn't resist spending a few innings of Sunday's game in the grandstands.

Perhaps the most refreshing aspect of my open-air approach was not having the distraction of this very computer in front of me. It's always so enticing to be researching statistics, checking the scoreboard and conversing via e-mail that sometimes the nuances of the game escape me. You know, like studying the pitcher's release point, picking up body language and getting a better look at pitch location.

Jake Dittler was pitching for the Akron Aeros. He's got a pretty good pedigree according to what I've read, but he was up with his pitches and the Rock Cats hitters were having their way with him.

Rock Cats pitcher Jesse Floyd has been struggling most of the year and Sunday was no different. He was falling behind the hitters, getting hurt and falling into his usual methodical routine that tends to put defenders back on their heels.

The New Britain Stadium ticket-holder is a very fortunate fan. I haven't yet found a bad seat and you're so close to the action. You can really appreciate the power that professional arms can generate and the incredible power that the hitters wield with their bats. These kind of get lost when you sit in the press box, watch games on television and view games from the distance that most major league seats afford.

Then there's president/owner Bill Dowling. Bill is a true "people" person. He enjoys interacting with the fans at his usual spot behind home plate and in front of the portal to the concourse below.

Through Dowling's leadership, his people don't miss a trick. What impressed me the most was the man who circulated with a broom and dust pan. When a child dropped his pretzel, the man was right on top of it. The stadium's thoroughfares are kept that way.

The game was moving forward. I was caught without my sunscreen, my neck had that burning feeling and I felt the need to start writing my story so I left for my usual spot in the press box.

Someday, hopefully more than just a few years from now, I will walk away from the job I've now had and relished for 11 years. And while it's more than likely I won't witness the 80 or so ballgames that I do as an Eastern League beat writer, I assure you of this. I am looking forward to attending Rock Cats games at New Britain Stadium when I can buy an ice cold beer, root for the home team and soak up all the advantages of being a baseball fan in central Connecticut.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home